The client access log is a somewhat hidden feature in AX if you want a quick measurement for what forms a user is using in the AX Client. It will allow you to track form events like open close and how long they took. This can be useful for some initial diagnosis of a performance problem that a user is reporting. Especially when they are reporting it as intermittent issue and can’t be specific. If you track what forms they are using and see the during of open and close events or more detailed like the sort events then you could try and see if they are filtering or sorting on a field that isn’t indexed. The data in the clientaccesslog will give you some initial indicators to narrow down where you could do more detailed tracing with the trace parser or turn on more logging on SQL.
Here is a quick video on what this looks like:
If you want to read more have a look at this post from the AX performance team which also has the link to the objects I was using in the video.
You will want to note a comment Bertrand added in the bottom of the blog about enabling for all users.
You need to do the following to enable the logging for all users:
1. Open the AOT
2. In the AOT go to Security > Roles
3. Locate the SystemUser role
4. Expand SystemUser role and then expand the Permissions node
5. Within the permissions, right click on the Tables node and choose New Table
6. You should now see a NewTable object created beneath ‘Tables’
7. Right click on the NewTable and choose properties
8. In the properties window set the ‘Table’ property to SysClientAccessLog
9. In the properties window set the Effective access to Create
10. At the top of the AOT window click the Save all button to save your changes to the System User role
Once this is completed, users would have to logout and back in for the change to take effect, but this should give all users within the System User role access to insert to the SysClientAccessLog table.
Pingback: Element usage log | OrganicAX·
Pingback: Element usage log - Microsoft Dynamics AX Community·
Pingback: Element usage log - OrganicAX - Microsoft Dynamics AX - Dynamics AX Users - DUG·